Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Web 2.0

For Wednesdays class we were assigned to read a chapter by Tim O’Reilly called “What is Web 2.0.” In this chapter O’Reilly tries to explain the Web 2.0 technology, and the many ways in which it has advanced since the “Web 1.0” technologies. He states “This article is an attempt to clarify just what we mean by Web 2.0.” The author discusses how the whole idea started, and the founding meetings in which the basis of it was formed. O’Reilly also stresses that a “platform beats an application every time.” The power to control the actual platform, gives a company like Microsoft the ability to almost force the use of their programs. He speaks of the rise of blogging as a Web 2.0 technology, and the development Wikipedia.

In my reflection I wanted to focus on the topic of folksonomy, and how it affects my daily life. I find the invention of this “tagging” to be amazing. Every time I buy something on amazon.com, or eBay.com they store these key words, or items I bought. The next time I log onto their websites there are recommended items for purchase. I receive emails everyday from Amazon stating “save 50 percent on all blu-ray DVD’s,” or “don’t wait, pre-order Grand Theft Auto 4.” The way the web can now almost act as a human, and think like a human is mind-boggling. The invention of Wikipedia is another Web 2.0 technology that O’Reilly feels “changes the dynamics of content creation.” This online encyclopedia has almost everything, and I can even log on and make a change to a page. This new way of collecting information, using everyone intelligence is something could not be imagined pre Web 2.0. The breadth of its subjects is really endless. My best friend is an extremely talented college lacrosse player, and he even has his own Wikipedia page! (I must admit I have logged on and messed with it a couple times..ha)

O’Reilly, Tim (2005). What is Web 2.0:Design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. Retrieved August 21, 2008 from http:/oreillynet.com/pub.a.oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html.

No comments: